Having a can of Pumpkin Puree sitting in my cupboard, I decided to make Pumpkin Saffron Macarons. Having not made macarons in awhile, I went through four attempts until my cookies came out just right! The filling was a cinch to make: pumpkin cream cheese. You can probably use the Pumpkin cream cheese that they sell at Trader Joe's. However, since that is seasonal, you can easily make your own.
I've made and had other flavored macarons before. Not a big fan of the pumpkin cream cheese filling (for macarons), but regardless, it still tastes good. If you're a big fan a cheesecake and pumpkin, then this recipe is for you!
Here is the recipe:
3 egg whites
1/2 tsp saffron
5 Tblsp granulated sugar
2/3 cups almond powder
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1) In a food processor combine saffron, almond powder and powder sugar and quickly grind into smooth powder. Set aside.
2) Make sure egg whites are at room temperature (it will help the eggs meringue properly). Beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually add granulated sugar into eggs. Continue beating eggs until thick and and glossy. Don't over do it or else the cookies won't bake properly!
3) Pour half of the powder made in 1) into 2). Using spatula, mix powder with meringue, scooping from bottom. Try to do it in few stirs possible. Add rest of powder in and mix as before. Try not to do more than a total of twenty stirs.
4) Preheat oven to 300F~345F depending on how hot the oven is. I would go for the lower heat just to be safe.
5) On a parchment lined baking tray, pipe circular cookies about a 1.5in in diameter. Space apart 2in. Wrap tray a few times. This will help the cookies get the prized feet! Leave out to harden for about 15~30min. You can test by touching the cookie lightly. If it does not stick to your finger, it has hardened enough.
6) Place in oven and cook for about 8~15 min. Make sure to check on them because you don't want them to over cook!
7) Once done, remove from oven and let cool for 10min. Remove from tray. Cookies should be crunchy on the outside but soft and moist on the inside.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese
2oz Cream Cheese at room temperature
2oz Pumpkin Puree
1/8 Ground Cloves
1/8 Ground Cinnamon
1) Mix all ingredients together into a bowl.
2) Pipe cream cheese between 2 equal sized macaron cookies
There you go! You have successfully made Pumpkin Saffron Macarons! Enjoy!